1. During Holy Week, the Gospel readings come to life in a special way as we gather to celebrate the
life, death and resurrection of Jesus. The readings remind us of our special connection to the land where
this great story unfolded.
2. Supporting the church in the Holy Land is an historic mission. Since the time of St. Paul, who urged
his missionary Churches not to forget the needs of the Church in Jerusalem, Christians worldwide have
understood the responsibility to support the land where Jesus walked.
3. It has never been easy to be a Christian in the Holy Land. In these challenging times in the Middle
East, Christians are experiencing unique hardships. We have an opportunity to help them through the
Pontifical Good Friday Collection.
4. Christians in the Holy Land face special challenges – many of which we hear about in the daily
news. The political, religious and military challenges in the Holy Land are more complex than ever. The
wars, unrest and instability have been especially hard on Christians. Supporting the Pontifical Good
Friday Collection offers hope to the Holy Land Christians.
5. Who are these Christians? Christians living in the Holy Land today are descendants of those who
first believed and lived the Christian faith. It is important that Christians continue to live, work and pray
in the Holy Land.
6. The Pontifical Good Friday Collection offers all Catholics an opportunity to express their solidarity
with Christians in the Holy Land. A donation to the Holy Father’s annual appeal is a direct way to make a
difference in the lives of those caught up in war, violence and instability in this region.
7. What has been accomplished? Last year’s Pontifical Good Friday Collection:
• Supported 29 parishes, four homes for orphans, three academic institutions
• Helped keep schools open for over 10,000 pre-K through grade 12 students
• Supported 120 men preparing to be priests or brothers
• Helped rehabilitate 80 homes for Christian families
• Provided senior care facilities in Bethlehem and Nazareth
• Created 1,500 jobs in the Holy Land for Christians
• Preserved 54 shrines connected with the life of Jesus and the prophets
8. Thank you for supporting the Pontifical Good Friday Collection, as encouraged by Pope Francis.
Through the Pontifical Good Friday Collection, you join with Catholics around the world to stand in
solidarity with the Church in the Holy Land. When you contribute to the Pontifical Good Friday Collection,
you become an instrument of peace in a troubled land.